The group's foray into the Consumer and Retail segment began with the setting up of Tata Oil Mills Company, known as TOMCO, in 1917.聽
TOMCO started with the production of soaps, detergents and cooking oils. Over the years, various Tata companies have established leading brands ranging from consumer durables to tea to packaged water. The journey from 1917 to date has seen the group's footprint in the Consumer Goods segment multiply several times.
The group started its Retail foray with the launch of Westside, by Trent in 1998. Other specialty stores include Croma, by Infiniti Retail and Star Bazaar by Trent.
Business Highlights FY 2017-2018
- Tata Chemicals divested its fertiliser business and is significantly growing its consumer and specialty chemistry solutions businesses
- TGB exited marginal markets, including China and Sri Lanka and restructured its Russian operations
- Titan crossed the $10-billion market capitalisation and witnessed strong growth on the back of structural and regulatory reforms like GST
- Voltas launched a new JV with Arcelik to enter the broader white goods space in India
- Croma turned profitable for the first time
- Westside is growing strongly both in terms of format expansions and store footprint聽